Health Minister Marcelo Queiroga said that conversations with President Jair Bolsonaro (no party) had a bearing on the suspension of vaccination against coronavirus among teenagers, taken by his portfolio. The statement was made amid criticism that essential technical bodies were not consulted by state authorities for the decision.
On Wednesday (15), Health released an information note restricting the application of doses only to young people with comorbidities, permanent disabilities or who are deprived of freedom.
In response, the National Council of Health Secretaries (Conass) and the National Council of Municipal Health Secretaries (Conasems) issued a position stating that there was no dialogue on the topic and warned that the Technical Chamber of the National Immunization Plan did not even was informed about the change.
“By unilaterally implementing decisions without technical and scientific support, the main action to control the pandemic is put at risk. Despite the fact that vaccination has led to a significant reduction in cases and deaths, Brazil still presents an epidemiological situation that is far from what it could be. considered comfortable,” they stated.
::Queiroga reports pressure from Bolsonaro against vaccinating adolescents::
The minister cited the president’s influence in a live webcast alongside Bolsonaro, “You have been talking to me about this topic, and we have done a detailed review of the DATASUS database,” said the minister.
Afterwards, Bolsonaro stated that the conversations are not impositions: “I take to him my feelings, what I read, what I see, what comes to my knowledge,” the president tried to explain.
After the release of the note stating that immunization among adolescents aged 12 to 17 would be restricted to specific groups, Minister Marcelo Queiroga held a press conference to talk about the decision on Thursday.
He cited the observation of mild adverse effects in 1.5 thousand vaccinated and vaccinated and one death, which happened in São Paulo. There is, however, no confirmation of the relationship between the case and the vaccine so far. The death, in the municipality of São Bernardo do Campo, is under investigation as it occurred after immunization, which is standard procedure.
Queiroga criticized states that began administering doses to adolescents before the date set by the federal government and said that evidence was found that unauthorized immunizations for this age group were used. The minister did not provide details on the claims.
::Adolescent immunization and 2nd anticipated dose: important issues remain without a unit in Brazil::
When dealing with the matter, Conass and Conasems warn that it is necessary to consider whether the data is real, “since registry errors have been identified, both due to possible exhaustion of servers, as well as difficulties related to information systems”.
The institutions also express “solidarity with the thousands of workers who have been working in the Vaccination Campaign against Covid-19”, in face of statements by the minister himself that there was an error in the applications.
Edition: Vinicius Segalla