The Health Department of the Federal District informed that it will maintain the schedule of vaccination of adolescents, even after the Ministry of Health recommends the suspension of the campaign for this audience, through a technical note. Currently, in the DF, vaccination is available for teenagers from 14 years of age.
“The Federal District will keep vaccinating adolescents aged 14, 15, 16 and 17 with the Pfizer vaccine, as planned. The Pfizer vaccine is the only one that has a definitive record, and it is worldwide. This is essential. And never there was no manifestation by Anvisa about this,” said the Secretary of Health, General Pafiadache, during a press conference this Thursday afternoon (16).
He recalled that since vaccination began for this audience, no complications were recorded. So far, the DF has already vaccinated around 88 thousand teenagers between 14 and 17 years old. Also according to the Secretary, in a possible suspension, there was a risk of losing vaccines.
“Why are we going to continue? Because it’s a logistical problem, our vaccines are already at the stations, we can’t collect them and put them back in the cold chain, because we could lose those vaccines.”
The Secretary also commented on information released by the Ministry of Health, during a press conference with Minister Marcelo Queiroga, that 26,000 teenagers across the country had been vaccinated against covid-19 by unauthorized immunization agents.
In Brazil, only the manufacturer Pfizer has authorization from Anvisa to be applied to young people between 12 and 17 years old. In the DF, by the ministry’s accounts, 222 teenagers would have been vaccinated with doses of Coronavac, Jansen and AstraZeneca.
“We have a record of some young people who were vaccinated with vaccines other than Pfizer. We are going to investigate if this was not a question of digitization, some inattention,” said Pafiadache. In the DF, the vaccination of teenagers has taken place at exclusive clinics with only Pfizer doses available.
Ministry of Health
Shortly before the press conference of the Secretary of Health of the Federal District, the Minister of Health, Marcelo Queiroga, gave an interview to journalists to present the reasons that would have weighed on the ministry to decide to review the recommendation and suspend the vaccination of adolescents without comorbidities.
According to Queiroga, 1.5 thousand adverse events were identified in immunized adolescents. All of them were of mild grade. A case of death of a young man was reported in São Paulo, but the episode is still being investigated to assess whether the cause was the immunizing agent or not.
The minister complained that, despite the previous guidance for the immunization of this public to begin yesterday (15), 3.5 million adolescents have already been vaccinated by local health authorities.
Source: Federal District BdF
Edition: Flávia Quirino